Preoperative (Preop) Physical Evaluations in Palmdale & Encino
Dr. Katayoun Motlagh offers pre-operative physical evaluations at her Palmdale and Encino, CA practice. Learn more below, or book an appointment today using the form on this page.
What is a pre-operative evaluation?
Almost all patients who are scheduled to undergo surgery are required to see a medical doctor, such as a family medicine doctor, for a pre-op physical exam in order to ensure that they will be able to withstand the stresses involved with the operation itself. In addition, pre-surgical evaluations allow a physician to order any tests that may be necessary for obtaining information about a patient’s health that may be relevant to the surgery.
It is not necessary to be a regular patient of Dr. Katayoun Motlagh for her to provide a pre-operative evaluation for surgery. For instance, if you are a patient who needs a pre-op physical exam but your regular doctor is not available to provide an exam in time for the scheduled operation, Dr. Motlagh can help.
Why is a pre-operative evaluation performed?
A complete pre-operative physical examination helps identify any potential health problems and optimize success in the outcome of surgery. This is especially important for patients who have complicated medical histories or who have underlying conditions or chronic diseases. In some cases, the results of the evaluation may lead to additional preparation so that a high-risk patient will be better able to handle surgery. One of the most common causes of complications during surgical procedures is the anesthetic use. A person’s health history and pre-operative evaluation will help the surgical team decide what anesthetic to use and the best way to administer it.
What does a pre-op physical exam involve?
A pre-operative evaluation typically includes the aspects of a complete physical examination, along with some additional elements.
During a pre-op physical exam, you can expect Dr. Motlagh to:
- Measure and record your height and weight
- Measure and record your blood pressure
- Listen to your heart and lungs
- Assess your ears, nose, and throat
- Gently palpate your belly to see if there are signs of tenderness
- Check your eyes and vision
- Evaluate joint flexibility, mobility, spinal alignment and posture
- Check neurological functions such as reflexes, coordination, and strength
- Discuss any chronic conditions you have and medications you take
- Assess risk factors that may lead to cardiac, pulmonary, or infectious complications
- Inquire about your anesthesia history
- Inquire about any allergies or reactions you have had to certain types of drugs
Based on the findings of this initial evaluation, your medical history and the type of surgery you are scheduled to undergo, Dr. Motlagh may also include the following elements in your pre-operative exam:
- Laboratory testing / blood work
- Imaging studies such as X-rays or an electrocardiogram (EKG)
When is a pre-operative evaluation necessary?
Some of the types of surgery that require pre-op physical exams include:
- Bariatric (stomach) surgery
- Thoracic (chest) surgery
- Cardiac (heart) surgery
- Major intra-abdominal (abdomen) surgery
- Vascular (vein) surgery
Dr. Motlagh also evaluates patients prior to various other types of surgery, because pre-operative physical examinations can help reduce the risk for even minor surgical procedures, depending on the patient’s age, underlying conditions, and overall physical health.
What are the advantages of pre-operative evaluations?
Pre-operative physical exams are beneficial in a number of ways:
- Allow your doctor to make recommendations designed to minimize risk before, during and after surgery
- Prepare high-risk patients for surgery
- Guide what anesthetic to use
- Minimize the possibility that the surgery will need to be postponed or canceled
- May decrease the length of hospital stay after surgery
- Improve outcomes of surgery
- Guide postoperative management
If you are interested in learning more about pre-operative evaluations with Dr. Katayoun Motlagh, contact our office today or schedule an appointment by filling out the appointment request form right on this page.