Medical Weight Loss Programs in Palmdale & Encino
Dr. Katayoun Motlagh is an active member of the Obesity Medicine Association and provides the best medical weight loss programs in Palmdale and Encino, personalized to the individual needs of each patient. As a board-certified family medicine physician and weight loss doctor, Dr. Motlagh emphasizes the treatment of the whole patient, including other health conditions that may be weight-related. She is dedicated to providing individualized and compassionate care – before, during and after weight loss.
Before starting any medical weight loss program, each patient is screened for qualification. If a patient is deemed a good candidate, Dr. Motlagh will tailor a medical weight loss program designed to help the patient lose weight painlessly, but methodically. Dr. Motlagh consistently monitors her patients to ensure safety and success.
What is a medical weight loss program?
Dr. Motlagh follows the principles of the Obesity Medicine Association (OMA), which consists of four “pillars” of an effective medical weight loss and management program: nutrition, activity, behavior, and medication. The OMA approach holds that weight loss doctors:
- Treat obesity as a disease, and regard their patients with compassion and dignity.
- Believe the disease of obesity is at the heart of many chronic medical issues and that reversing the disease improves overall health.
- Stay abreast of the latest treatment approaches, new medications, and best practices for weight loss.
One of the first elements of any new weight loss treatment involves a nutritional consultation. Dr. Motlagh will provide nutritional support, including the development of a nutrition plan that’s based on your desired weight loss, your motivation, and your food limitations (such as gluten or lactose allergies). Your medical weight loss meal plan will be tailored to your own needs, but most good nutrition plans recommend some basic tried-and-true, long-term weight loss and weight management methods, such as:
- Avoid fad or crash diets and instead, change your lifestyle and your attitude about food
- Reduce the number of calories you take in
- Eat more plant-based foods, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- Avoid fatty meats and fried foods and empty calories such as sweets
The OMA recommends that individuals who are trying to lose weight engage in any type of physical activity, with guidance from their weight loss doctor. Here are some tips, goals, and benefits:
- Physical activity increases the body’s own metabolism
- Exercise and the resulting weight loss can actually decrease the aches and pains associated with normal physical activity (such as walking)
- Physical activity does not have to be a difficult sport or cardio workout, it can be something low impact, such as yoga, swimming or walking
- Physical activity can improve mental well-being
Dr. Motlagh will help each patient develop a physical activity program that suits his or her needs, monitoring the patient’s progress and overseeing a gradual build-up of strength and time spent doing the activity.
Dr. Motlagh often advises patients to undergo behavioral therapy as part of a successful physician’s weight loss program. Through behavioral therapy, patients are able to examine and identify the underlying and unconscious reasons for weight gain and obesity. Dr. Motlagh works in partnership with a psychotherapist who can discuss with patients some of the psychological reasons for eating too much or for eating the wrong foods, which may include:
- Identifying emotions of emptiness with hunger
- Feelings of rejection
- Low self-esteem
- Habits such as eating in front of the TV
Often times, nutritional counseling, physical activity and behavioral therapy alone are not enough to deliver successful weight loss results. In conjunction with these approaches, Dr. Motlagh also offers other medical weight loss treatments, which may include:
- Weight loss medications
- Dietary supplements
- Weight loss injections including:
- Lipotronic injections that help break down lipid fat
- Choline and inositol that help metabolize fats and remove fat from the liver
- Methionine, an essential amino acid that helps with the metabolism of fat and protein
- Vitamin B12 and other vitamins (IV vitamin infusion)
Dr. Motlagh also offers a cosmetic weight loss treatment called laser lipo (strawberry laser), an alternative to surgical liposuction. The procedure targets body fat through the application of a controlled laser to damage and shrink fat cells.
If you are interested in learning more about medical weight loss services with Dr. Katayoun Motlagh, or to find out if you are a candidate for our medically supervised weight loss programs, please contact our office today or schedule an appointment by filling out the appointment request form right on this page.