Orthopedic / Sports Injuries
in Palmdale and Encino
What is an orthopedic injury?
An orthopedic injury refers to any acute damage to your musculoskeletal system, including the bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, and nerves that support and connect your body’s tissues together. The most common orthopedic injuries include sprains, dislocations, and bone fractures. These kinds of injuries are often the result of playing sports, especially those that involve high-impact on your joints and other structures. Dr. Katayoun Motlagh provides diagnosis and treatment options for numerous orthopedic and sports-related injuries for patients in the Palmdale and Encino areas.
What are the most common orthopedic injuries?
Dr. Motlagh routinely sees patients for a wide array of orthopedic injuries, most commonly due to sports or motor vehicle accidents. The most common orthopedic injuries include:
- Plantar fasciitis – the most common cause of heel pain, which is caused by repeated impact or strain the ligament connecting your toes to your heels
- ACL tears – injuries affecting the knees that are caused by sudden changes in direction or quick stops
- Meniscus tears – common knee injuries that are caused by twisting the leg while the foot is planted
- Tennis elbow/golfer’s elbow – common elbow injuries resulting from overuse of the arm, such as with tennis players or other sports involving repetitive arm motions
- Shoulder dislocation – occurs when the shoulder is pulled out of its normal position
- Rotator cuff tears – can occur as the result of an injury or after long-term wear and tear of the tendons
- Stress fractures – injuries resulting from repeated stress on a part of the body that causes a broken bone
- Carpal tunnel syndrome – pinched nerve in the wrist that happens when the fingers or wrist are overused
What are the symptoms of an orthopedic or sports injury?
Visit Dr. Motlagh if you experience any of the following sports injury symptoms, which will vary depending on the exact acute injury you’ve suffered:
- Sudden, severe pain
- Inability or difficulty moving the body part
- Extreme weakness in the area
- Bone or joint visibly crooked
- Tenderness in the area
- Inability to bear weight on or use that part of the body
How is an orthopedic injury diagnosed?
Dr. Motlagh can find out if you are suffering from an orthopedic injury as well as determine the severity of your injury. During your evaluation, Dr. Motlagh speaks with you about your symptoms, pain level, and the how the injury occurred. Then, a physical evaluation is done for the affected area as well as one or more of the following image diagnostic tests:
- Ultrasound test
- MRI test
- CT scan
- X-ray test
How is an injury treated at an orthopedic urgent care center?
Dr. Motlagh creates a custom treatment plan for you that addresses the specific kind of injury you’ve suffered as well as meets all of your personal needs. Some of the treatment options that may be recommended to help you recover from a sports injury include:
- Pain medication
- Surgical repair
- Physical therapy
If you or your child is suffering from an orthopedic or sports injury, contact our office today or schedule an appointment by filling out the appointment request form right on this page. Dr. Motlagh also provides sports urgent care services, with Saturday appointments available. Visit us in Palmdale or Encino today.