Weight Loss Programs in Palmdale & Encino
What is obesity medicine?
Obesity medicine is a field of medicine dedicated to the comprehensive treatment of patients dealing with obesity. This field focuses on the complex and multifactorial nature of obesity, which involves numerous aspects, including behavior, environment, genetics, nutrition and psychosocial factors, among others.
Obesity causes a range of diseases that can be very harmful to a patient’s overall health. That’s why Palmdale and Encino family medicine physician, Dr. Katayoun Motlagh, emphasizes a comprehensive approach focused on patient education, wherein she helps her patients learn how to lose weight and maintain reasonable weight loss long-term. Many weight loss doctors charge high prices for their services, and like commercial health clubs and weight loss plans, these approaches can be ineffective as well as expensive. As an active member of the Obesity Medicine Association, Dr. Motlagh takes a holistic approach to obesity medicine, addressing all related healthcare problems in order to guide patients to a healthy lifestyle. She offers a unique physician’s weight loss program that helps her patients lose weight under her personal care.
Obesity is measured based on body mass index (BMI), an indicator of body fat that’s calculated using height in relation to weight. Here are the quick facts about obesity:
- “Overweight” is defined as a BMI between 25 and 30
- “Obese” is defined as a BMI over 30
- Two-thirds of American adults are overweight or obese
- One-third of American children ages 2 to 19 are considered overweight or obese
What weight-related conditions or symptoms can a family medicine physician treat?
As a family doctor, Dr. Katayoun Motlagh provides comprehensive weight loss and obesity medicine services for patients of all ages in Palmdale and Encino. Here are some of the common weight-related symptoms and conditions she treats:
- Almost 90% of people living with type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese
- Obesity decreases the body’s ability to use insulin to properly control blood sugar levels
- People who are obese are more likely to develop diabetes
Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
- Being overweight increases your chances of developing high blood pressure
- Excess weight increases the strain on the heart
- Losing as little as 10 to 20 pounds can help lower blood pressure
- Losing weight can help lower the risk of hypertension and serious heart disease
- High cholesterol is a major risk factor leading to heart disease, heart attack, and stroke
- We all have cholesterol, but there is “good” and “bad” cholesterol
- Cholesterol is made in the liver, but also comes from what we eat
- Food high in fat causes the body to produce more cholesterol
- Too much cholesterol forms plaque in artery walls, which can break open and cause clots
- Clots that go to the heart cause heart attacks; clots that go to the brain cause stroke
- Weight raises blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels producing “bad” cholesterol
- Obesity lowers “good” cholesterol (HDL)
What weight loss services does Dr. Motlagh offer?
Dr. Katayoun Motlagh provides comprehensive weight loss services designed to help her patients lose weight, control weight and treat or manage any weight-related conditions. Here are some of the services she commonly provides:
- Physician-assisted weight loss programs
- Weight loss medications
- Weight loss injections
- Nutritional counseling and support
- Treatment of diabetes
- Treatment of hypertension
- Treatment of high cholesterol
- Treatment of arthritis
- Laser lipo
Unlike other weight loss doctors, Dr. Motlagh treats the whole patient, including all of the other health conditions that may be related to weight – before, during and after weight loss. Her weight loss approach is designed to help patients lose weight painlessly but methodically.
If you are interested in learning more about obesity medicine services and weight loss programs provided by Dr. Katayoun Motlagh, contact our office today or schedule an appointment by filling out the appointment request form right on this page.