Should I get Dermal Fillers?
As we age, genetics, lifestyle choices, and sun exposure all play a role in decreasing the natural volume of our facial skin. This reduction thins out our facial skin, revealing creases, lines, and wrinkles. Dermal fillers are a great option to recapture a youthful, healthy appearance without undergoing invasive plastic surgery.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
A dermal filler is made of clear gel called hyaluronic acid a naturally occurring substance appearing in skin that declines with age. Hyaluronic acid boosts skin’s collagen levels and strong hydrating properties. Fillers can be formulated with a higher level of hyaluronic acid to plump up the jawline, cheeks, or chin, while lower levels are best suited to smoothing out wrinkles and fine lines.
How Do Dermal Fillers Work?
A dermal filler, when applied by a skilled licensed professional, will plump up sagging skin and fill in fine lines to give you a refreshed, more youthful appearance. Thicker fillers are injected deeper into the skin and can boost the volume of your lips or your cheeks that lose volume to the aging process. Thinner fillers are applied right at the skin’s surface and reduce lines under the eyes and frown lines.
What’s the Best Way to Use Dermal Fillers?
A dermal filler will produce the most positive results when it’s used to:
- Boost the volume of thin lips
- Improve the appearance of shallow contours
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles in the face
- Reduce visibility of scars
- Improve the look of facial deformities
Keep in mind that dermal fillers are temporary and won’t deliver long-term results achieved by a facelift, brow lift, or other surgical procedures. However, fillers are a perfect choice if you’ve just started noticing changes to your skin because you can delay the need for surgery by many years.
What Should I Expect During My Procedure?
A dermal filler procedure consists of four steps:
- Facial Examination and Mapping – The physician will assess the areas on your face you want to treat and mark the appropriate injection sites with ink to use as a guide. “Before” photos might be taken.
- Cleaning and Anesthetizing – The physician will thoroughly clean the injection sites with an antibacterial cleanser and will apply numbing agents to the injection sites. You might feel some discomfort during the injection, but most patients handle the procedure well.
- Injecting the Filler – The physician will inject the fillers at the appropriate sites and evaluate the results, massaging the area and adding more filler if necessary. Depending on how many areas are treated, the procedure could take as little as 15 minutes to an hour.
- Cleaning Up and Recovering – After the physician deems the procedure a success, the ink markings will be removed. You’ll be given an ice pack to reduce any swelling or pain. The injection sites may be tender for a day or two but usually don’t require any pain medication.
When Will I See Results?
You’ll notice the results of your dermal fillers immediately. Depending on the areas treated, your age, and other factors, you’ll enjoy the benefits of the fillers for several months to many years. Living a healthy lifestyle and adhering to a strict skincare regimen will lengthen the lifespan of procedure.
Choosing dermal fillers is a safe, effective way to enjoy a more youthful appearance without the drawbacks and downtime associated with plastic surgery. If you’d like to find out if you’re a good candidate for dermal fillers, make an appointment today with Dr. Katayoun Motlagh. Dr. Motlagh specializes in dermatology and rejuvenation services in her offices in Palmdale and Encino. Fill out the form on this page to request an appointment or call to learn more.